Slovenian heart foundation – our mission
The Slovenian Heart Foundation (originally Društvo za zdravje srca in ožilja Slovenije) is a humanitarian non-governmental organisation that has been operating in the public interest in the field of health care since 1991. The Foundation carries out its activities throughout Slovenia. It includes 9 branches and two independent associations (the Regional Heart Foundation for Maribor and the Podravje Region as well as the Regional Heart Foundation for the Pomurje Region) with over 8,000 members altogether.
The mission of the Foundation is the prevention of cardiovascular diseases. This includes raising awareness among our members as well as the Slovenian population about a healthy lifestyle, and the prevention of risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. The Foundation takes measures in the field of protective food consumption, smoking prevention, physical activity promotion, as well as health checks based on blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar measurements. In more than 20 years of its existence, the Foundation has contributed greatly to raising awareness on reducing risk factors leading to cardiovascular diseases. The mission has been extended even further by establishing the Bimbam Heart Foundation (‘Ustanova Srček Bimbam’) which offers help to children in Slovenia being treated outside of their permanent residence area.
The vision of the Foundation is to contribute to the reduction of the mortality rate due to cardiovascular diseases as well as all chronic noncommunicable diseases for 25 % by 2025. To achieve this objective, the Foundation established the Network of Non-Governmental Health-Care Organisations 25×25 (in short: the NGO Network 25×25) in 2012.
Membership: The Foundation is a member of the European Heart Network (EHN), the World Heart Federation (WHF), and the European Congenital Heart Disease Organisation (ECHDO).
The activities the Slovenian Heart Foundation carries out to achieve its objectives are as follows:
- A cardiovascular consultation office (as well as phone service and cardiological forum)
- CPR courses (for adults, children, and adolescents)
- Measuring blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar at fairs and other public events
- Organising trips, hikes, and cycling activities
- Educating lecturers and promoters of health
- Carrying out research
- Labelling food products of outstanding qualities with the heart label with the purpose to raise awareness of consumers and to increase the supply of foods that have a beneficial effect on health (health claims) or beneficial nutritional properties (nutritional claims)
- Educational events for the general public (lectures, workshops and seminars, professional meetings)
- Media events (press conferences, round tables, panel discussions, etc.)
- Expanding the Foundation’s presence in the media (interviews, guest speakers in radio and TV shows)
- ‘ZA srce’ magazine (7 issues per year)
- ‘Za srce’ book collection
- Leaflets, brochures, posters
- Producing short promotional clips and news reports
- Membership and collaboration with international organisations, as well as the implementation of the newest European and global guidelines and good practices in Slovenia
Address and contact
Društvo za zdravje srca in ožilja Slovenije
(Slovenian Heart Foundation)
Dalmatinova ulica 10
Telefon: + 386 1 234 75 50
Fax: + 386 1 234 75 54
E-mail: [email protected]